Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Drink Your Friendly Flora!

I am super excited to tell you all about my latest venture in finding yet another path to homeostasis!  

Recently I learned about a wonderful beverage called "Water Kefir."  This refreshing and effervescent beverage is loaded with probiotics aka 'friendly flora'.  Friendly Flora are beneficial bacteria that we need in our intestines to keep the harmful bacteria from getting out of control.  When the harmful bacterias get out of control, it can result in serious illness.  

The milk kefir, which can be found in most grocery stores, is very similar in the benefits it provides.  For vegans or those with an intolerance to lactose, water kefir is a much more desirable option.  Unlike milk kefir though, water kefir can't be purchased at the store.

If you want to enjoy the numerous benefits of water kefir, you will have to make it yourself.  Don't feel intimidated though.  Think of it as 'empowering' because you are taking your wellness into your own hands!  It's very simple and honestly, it's one of the most interesting things I've ever made.  Coming from me, that says a lot because I always have a jar or two of something strange looking brewing!  

It's good to start out with 3 tablespoons of what is called "kefir grains."  I suppose that term was coined because "3 tablespoons of little bacteria globs" sounds less desirable.  Here are the two sets of instructions that I read before I got started.  The first one holds excellent information but I mostly follow the instructions of the second source.
  1. Water Kefir
  2. How To Make Water Kefir
water kefir grains
If you have a healthy batch of 'grains,' they will multiply rapidly.  For example, I started with three tablespoons which were gifted to me by a dear friend.  Within five days I had nine tablespoons!  It's really amazing to watch and be part of the whole process...making it, drinking it, and sharing it.  I am giving away all my extra kefir grains to anyone who desires to make their own water kefir (I only ask that recipients pay the postage.)  If you would like a starter batch, 3 tablespoons, just email me!

Be well!  

No comments:

Post a Comment