Thursday, February 21, 2013

I WANT A COOKIE!

Optimal health doesn't just happen for most of us.  It takes work and dedication.  Although I do not consume the Standard American Diet (SAD), there is still room for improvement.  I spend a good portion of my time modifying recipes so that I can still enjoy foods that I like without suffering the unhealthy side effects.  

Well, a few weeks ago I really wanted a cookie!  This meant going to the store because sugary snacks like this do not regularly occupy my cupboards.  It seemed like a simple desire to fulfill until I read the ingredients in the cookies.  Bleached white flour, high fructose corn syrup, and no indication of GMO's aka POISON!  Not one package of cookies met my standards in the whole store!  My cookie desire was still going strong which left me no other choice.  I had to bake my own.

I spent two days doing research...sifting through oatmeal cookie recipes and making modifications.  My final recipe looked promising yet I had made so many changes, it was really a brand new recipe.  The results were so phenomenal that I have to share my recipe with you.  See below recipe for vegan / gluten-free tips.  Most ingredients are organic.

JANE'S OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

Ingredients:

  1. 1/2 cup chia gel
  2. 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
  3. 1 cup brown sugar
  4. 1/2 cup white sugar
  5. 1 egg
  6. 1 tsp vanilla
  7. 1/4 cup wheat germ
  8. 3/4 cup spelt flour
  9. 1/2 tsp baking soda
  10. 1 tsp Cinnamon
  11. 1/2 tsp sea salt
  12. 1 cup raisins
  13. 3 cups quick oats

First, preheat oven to 375.  Then cream together ingredients 1-6 in a large bowl.  Next, stir in ingredients 7-12.  When that is all thoroughly mixed, add the oats.  Drop by teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheet (I used coconut oil) and bake for 10-12 minutes.  This recipe makes about three dozen cookies.  I must admit, these are the best oatmeal raisin cookies I have ever eaten!  They were totally worth the wait!  Yum!

VEGANS - REPLACE EGG WITH MORE CHIA GEL

GLUTEN SENSITIVE FOLKS - REPLACE 1/4 CUP WHEAT GERM AND 3/4 CUP SPELT FLOUR WITH 1 CUP GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR OF YOUR CHOICE.

Feed-back welcomed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment