Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cajun Lentil Soup Recipe

Greetings, wonderful Readers! It has been a brutally cold winter here in northeast Ohio. My urges to gorge on heavy comfort foods can get overwhelming. 

During these dark and blustery times I do my best to be gentle with myself, by finding creative compromises that fulfill what I want as well as what I need.  

Below is a recipe I concocted yesterday in my laboratory aka 'kitchen.'  It was inspired by the rich and spicy flavors of Cajun cuisine. Then, I incorporated one of my staple health foods...lentils.  

This recipe need not be followed EXACTLY as it is written.  I used green lentils but any lentil could work. Also, you may want to add diced tomatoes, more celery and less green pepper.  You may even want to add some type of seafood.  Make it as it is written or get creative with it.  Either way, I want to know how you like it!  Bon appetit!

Awesome Cajun Lentil Soup

Spice Mix

Equal parts
  • Sea salt 
  • Black pepper 
  • Cayenne 
  • Oregano 
  • Paprika 
Put all the seasoning in a container with a tight fitting lid and shake to mix. Set aside. 

The Soup

Ingredients
  • about 1 lb andouille sausage
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 2 small onions or 1 large onion
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Better Than Bouillon (vegetable or chicken)
  • Small can tomato paste (about 6 oz)
  • 1 lb green lentils
  • 8-10 cups of water (depending on how much broth you like)

Directions 

First, slice sausage, cook thoroughly, drain grease, and transfer sausage to the soup pot. Then, dice peppers, onions, celery, and garlic and add to the pot. Add water, rinsed lentils, tomato paste, and 1 TBSP of the prepared Spice Mix…more spice can be added later if you want it hotter. Bring pot to a boil, add a heaping TBSP of bouillon, stir, and turn down to simmer. After it starts to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.

This recipe makes a lot of soup but it tastes great and freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment